Notary Bulletin

How Do I ... Notarize Supporting Documents For An Orphan Visa?

Form I-171H, which is needed for the preapproval of an orphan visa, is among the most common U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) forms you may be requested to notarize. It is needed when adopting a child from another country. The National Notary Association recommends that only experienced Notaries who customarily work with agencies with specialized knowledge of international adoptions notarize these forms, because a missing or incomplete document in the adoption dossier can jeopardize the adoption.

In addition, this form does not include notarial wording, so the signer, adoption agency or the attorney handling the process must provide wording or instruct you as to the type of notarization -- acknowledgment or jurat -- to perform. If signers ask you a question about the form or the process, direct them to the adoption agency or their attorney for answers.

Professional Sections

NSA and Small Business
Healthcare Professionals
Legal Professionals
Financial and Corporate Services

Quiz: The Many Types Of Notarial Acts

Notaries perform many different duties for the public — and it’s easy to lose track of the different acts and what states they’re authorized in. Test your familiarity with common — and uncommon — notarial acts.

(A link to the correct answers is provided at the end of the quiz.)

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions.

(888) 876-0827

Monday through Friday:
5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST

Saturdays: 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

© 2014 National Notary Association. All rights reserved . Privacy Statement . Copyright Statement
National Notary Foundation . Returns . About Us . Contact Us . Feedback