Hotline Tip: How Do I Change My Name On My Notary Stamp And License?

I recently got married and I have already changed my name on my Social Security card and driver’s license, but how do I get my name changed on my Notary stamp and license? - J.S., Shohola, PA

A Pennsylvania Notary who changes his or her name may continue to notarize using the original name until their commission expires, whereupon any application for a new commission must be made in the new name (57 PS 156).

Within 30 days of the name change, the Notary must inform the Secretary of the Commonwealth and the recorder of deeds of the county in which the Notary maintains an office.

The Notary may opt to use the new name when notarizing but only after notifying the recorder of deeds, registering the new signature with the prothonotary, purchasing a new rubber seal and informing the Department of State in writing. A notification form is available on the Department of State's website.

Non-Members: A full listing of Hotline archives, as well as additional coverage of Notary-related news updates, reports and information — is available exclusively to NNA members, through the weekly, online Notary Bulletin. Find out how to become an NNA Member and receive this benefit.

Members: For more hotline tips, news stories, and information, log in to this week’s Notary Bulletin.

© 2014 National Notary Association. All rights reserved . Privacy Statement . Copyright Statement
National Notary Foundation . Returns . About Us . Contact Us . Feedback